I am big on anything which helps me organise my to do tasks and keep focussed on what are the most important tasts. My only issue is that I do not want to be messing around for ages trying to figure the app out. I have also been really disappointed by many productivity apps in working across all the platforms I use (for me Mac, iPad and iPhone).
So when a friend recommended Things to me I thought I would give it a go. I was a little disappointed that I could not try without buying but once I got in to the app it was clear that would not be a problem as I became increasingly impressed. So here are the features I like;
- It will handle to-dos, notes, due dates and provides ability to have individual project areas.
- You can track what is due today, what is coming up whats next, pretty much any way you like using the Smart task lists.
- I can enter repeating tasks.
- It can sync with my iCal Mac calender program.
- If something pops in to my mind to do and I need to note it quickly, I can make a Quick Entry rather than going through loads of options.
- I particularly like the “Someday” filing feature for those tasks I would like to get round to or projects I am thinking of doing but will wait. This feature is particularly good as it stops those someday features disappearing from my mind altogether so I never get round to thinking about them.
- Logbook keeps a record of all my completed tasks so I can go back if I am unsure or want to review or pull back in old tasks for whatever reason.
- I like the way I can tag tasks, to-dos etc with my own tags.
- You have to pay for the app on each of your devices so I had to pay for my Mac app, iPhone app and iPad app. Pricing is reasonable but they should really think about a discount for those users who are effectively buying all the cross platform apps at the same time.
- It only syncs across devices on same wireless network. Its not a great problem but it would have been great to sync over the mobile network especially given that my iPad is 3G enabled.
- It is not really built to send tasks between different users even though you can add colleagues so over a network even, it is not a standard feature albeit they do have a workaround but all seems a little stressing when it could be built in to work the Mac way, seemlessly.